Understand these fundamentals of Threads and you'll be a master of the platform. By the end, you should feel comfortable teaching your team about Threads.
Use Threads on desktop and your phone
Start here to understand what Threads is and how to think about it as your team's communication platform. This page breaks down the fundamental building blocks of the product.
Let's start with Formats.
Two primary communication formats are core to Threads: chat and threads.
Messages are what you're probably used to—basically texting at work. You can add images, videos, files, and GIFS to a message or just send plain text.
The message can be long or short. Messages are great for things that are quick and casual.
Threads are a new format we created to help you share insights and gain alignment. A thread is made up of blocks where each block is capped at 500 characters to push people to be simple and straightforward with their language.
Threads are similar to posts you already see around the internet: Facebook posts, tweets, Reddit posts, etc.
Send a message for anything quick or casual, but if it's something that will be relevant for longer than an hour, do your team a favor and start a thread.
So, where do these formats (messages and threads) live? Who can see them? What should they be about?
There are two containers: chats and channels.
Chats are where messages live.
Create a chat with a single person or a group (feel free to name it!) in order to send messages. Only the people added to the chat will have access to it.
Channels are where threads live.
Channels are areas for specific discussion topics. Create a channel for every project, team, or workflow you have in your company.
Channels can be public or private. If the channel is public, anyone in the organization will be able to join it. If it's private, you'll need to be directly added to the channel to access any of the threads in it.
You control your notification settings for any chat or channel you're a part of.
Set your notifications at the account level, and then adjust them for each chat or channel that you're in to make sure you're only notified about the content you want to be notified about.
- A message notification will appear as a badge next to the chat on the left sidebar
- A thread notification will appear as a badge next to the channel the thread is in on the left sidebar
To enter the triage mode, go to the Inbox tab and click on any of the threads.
To triage through each thread, either mark it as done if you're done with it or do later if you want to follow up on it later. You'll set a specific time when you want to follow up on the thread in your Inbox.
We believe it should be easy to understand and control who has permission to access your content.
And, given the nature of hybrid communication, it should also be easy to change the privacy of some communication whenever you need to.
- Chats: People need to be directly added to chats.
- Threads: Anyone in an organization can join a public channel, and people need to be directly added to a private channel.
- Guests: Add a guest to a specific thread to give them access to just that thread, or add them to a channel to give them access to all of the threads in that channel. You'll be able to set granular controls for how they can interact with the threads they have access to from the threads themselves.
- You can move threads between channels
- You can copy a link from any block on a thread and share it in a chat or a thread
- You can highlight messages in chat and turn them into an artifact that can be attached to a thread
Powerful integrations are key to any workplace communication tool. We have an extensive set of integrations designed for both async workflows and others that are better suited for synchronous communication.
Here are some of our most popular integrations:
- Intercom: Post conversations with customers directly to a channel so your team can keep up with customer feedback
- Linear: Get updates in a chat and create Linear tasks directly from a comment on a thread
- Zoom: Use /zoom in a chat to start a call with the person you're chatting with
Keep up with your chats and threads on the go. Use the mobile app to:
- Start a chat or a thread
- Read and reply to messages and threads
- Triage your notifications